Saturday, February 20, 2010

Homemade Challenge #9 - Monster Truck Shirt


Ah, the monster truck shirt. Boy, does this one have a story to go along with it.



The Story
A couple of weeks ago I took the little ones to the mall. We probably go there less than four times a year, so it was a slightly big deal. The lure of 80% of clearance was calling to me and I was hoping on stocking up the kids for next year. Into the store we go where everything was going well until Little Boy spotted a monster truck shirt and to him it was the monster truck shirt. I politely declined to purchase this shirt in all its full price glory and then all hell broke loose. My sweet little guy who has never had a tantrum, let alone in public, had a stage five meltdown in the middle of the store. There was crying, begging, pleading, hiding behind clothing racks. A salesgirl told me I was a good mom since I didn't hit him like most of the parents. Um, thanks, I think. I finally had to pick him up and carry him out of the store as he screamed, "you're hurting me," at the top of his lungs. Good times.

The Gift
With Valentines rolling around I knew a monster truck shirt would be well received. I started to work on machine embroidering ala Martha. I freehanded a rather cute truck onto the shirt and got to work. Then my abusive sewing machine put a huge hole in the middle of the shirt. Yes, maybe I put the wrong needle in, but couldn't he compensate for my shortcomings just this one time? So, now I had a shirt with a hole in it and no way to save the embroidery. What to do, what to do? Luckily, this lovely little blog showed up in my feed via another website and all was not lost. A little cutting, a little appliquéing, and the shirt is saved and a monster truck is on it. Whew!


Footnote: Little Boy professes to love the shirt, but will not wear it because he wants to "keep it nice." Oy vey.

No comments: