Monday, January 11, 2010

Homemade Challenge #1 - Debt Buster


We are on a final kick around here to get debt out of our lives this year. We have been following the Dave Ramsey plan for about two years now. Admittedly, we have only been putting forth about a 75% effort in these endeavors. About a month ago, we got really tired of paying off our debt and decided we were going to get crazy about paying everything off this year. With 41% of our original balance left we have to get a little extreme to make this a reality before the end of the year. Step one of our plan is to finally get rid of credit cards. While we don't carry a balance, you do inevitably spend more with the good old plastic. To help my self out in this transition I wanted to start using the envelope cash system. With this you place all the money you have budgeted for certain items in envelopes at the beginning of the month and when your envelope is empty you are done. There are some really nice systems on-line, but I thought this would make a great starter project for my challenge, so I stitched up one of my own. I modified a pattern for a coupon organizer and came up with this fun little wallet in my favorite Ikea remnant material. I wish it didn't come out as wonky as it did, but I ran into some crazy issues sewing this one. After a fight with my snap press and a spider dropping out of my machine onto my hand while sewing it was a sub par sewing job at best. At least, it is functional and I am happily using it.

No comments: